Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Wesley's Week

This has been ONE week for Wesley!!! Of course as my last post indicated, he had his birthday last Wednesday and we celebrated with weekday pancakes just for him! That night at church just before we left, he fell into a wooden child's chair in the nursery right in front of his daddy. At first we didn't think it was too bad but by Friday it was very swollen and bruised. So, we took him to a pediatrician that was recommended to us by some of our church members. Richard actually took him and he really liked this doctor. He is in Opp which is a familiar place to Richard as he served for 2 summers during college at First Baptist Church there as a youth minister. Dr. Bang (pronounced Bong) did think that Wesley's mouth might be getting infected so he prescribed him an oral antibiotic and gave us some salve for the exterior lip/cheek area. He also did a thorough check up and decided to give him Nasonex to go along with his Zyrtec for his allergies and gave us some eye drops because his eyes were starting to run from allergies, too. He also thought one of his tonsils was swollen. By Saturday evening the swelling in his cheek had gone down, but the bruising is probably going to take a while because it is still there.

On Saturday evening we invited our friends, Ashley and Wendy Kilcrease, their baby girl Marley Kate and their two sons Jake and Luke to come over and help us celebrate Wesley's birthday. We grilled hamburgers and hotdogs and had cake and icecream. We ate out on our super nice back porch and the boys really had a great time playing all over the yard. Wesley got lots of fun presents and he especially likes his "Little Einsteins" conductor's wand that plays music that he got from Grandmama and Grandaddy! He is already humming new tunes he has learned from it.

On Monday and Tuesday we took him to the public school here to be tested again for speech therapy. As in Texas he had to be evaluated to see if he is eligible for speech therapy offered by the speech therapist in the public school system. We will not know anything official until next week, but she was very encouraging that he would be eligible. She is the therapist and I really like her. I think Wesley did, too. She also said that she would probably work with him and another preschool boy together. I will update more when we know for sure what he will be doing and what his schedule is.

Lastly, we are all having issues with our sinuses but as I said in the beginning of this post, Wesley was already having trouble on Friday. On Monday afternoon we tried to let the boys play in the sprinkler for a while after school. It was windy, but the rain had let up so we let them. It was probably not a great idea as Monday night Wesley's symptoms seemed to worsen a lot. All day Tuesday and today he has continued to get worse with lots of nasal and upper respiratory congestion. Also today he has not stopped coughing despite taking a prescription cough and decongestant medicine. Strep and flu is going around, but he is still on his antibiotic and he has not had any fever, so I just don't really know what it is. I'm sure his throat is sore as much as he has coughed! We didn't take him to church tonight because we didn't want him to cough on everyone there. I am really hoping he gets better soon! He has had a rough week!!!

These pics are of his party, his sprinkler play (Graham didn't play because he got cold) and his mouth injury:

1 comment:

The Hall's said...

Looks like fun! Bless his heart
his mouth does look rough! I hope you all get to feeling better soon. Got your e-mail. I am going to call you soon during nap time!

Love and miss you!